The following category of certificates and licenses is available for your information and use. If you need further information you may contact the Town Clerk’s Office.

All files are in PDF format, and you will need Adobe Reader to open any of the following documents.

A birth certificate is issued by the clerk of the municipality in which the birth occurred. We issue a very small number of birth certificates each year. If a birth has occurred within the Town and in the home, the parent must file the information with the Town Clerk within five days of the birth. A certificate for a birth occurring within the Town of Ridgeway will be permanently maintained by the Town Clerk. If a birth has occurred in the hospital, please contact the Village of Medina at 585-798-0710.

Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?

The person named on the birth certificate; a parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent’s name must be on the birth certificate); or a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate only by order of a New York State Court.

Identification Requirements- Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:

A. One of the following forms of valid photo-ID: Driver license, State issued non-driver photo ID, Passport or U.S. Military issued photo ID

B. Two of the following showing the applicant’s name and address: Utility or telephone bills, or letters from a government agency dated within the last six month

Important Notes:

Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application .Copy of Passport required in addition to the above ID if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.

If you are applying for a copy of a birth certificate via the mail and your driver’s license does not reflect the address to which you want the certificate mailed, you must have your signature notarized.

There is a fee of $10.00 per certified copy of a birth certificate. Fees are payable by cash, check or money order

Building Permits are issued by the Code Enforcement Officer, Jason Raduns.  For questions concerning building permits, please contact the Code Enforcement office at 798-0730, extension 106.

Building Permit Application 2023

Worker’s Comp BP-1 Form 2023

A death certificate is filed with the clerk of the municipality in which the death occurred within 72 hours of such death. Such filing is usually handled by a funeral director or coroner.

Who is eligible to obtain a death certificate copy?

The spouse, parent or child of the deceased, other persons who have a documented lawful right or claim documented medical need, or a New York State Court Order

Note: If a request for a copy of a death certificate is within six months from the time of death, and the arrangements were handled by a funeral director, that director acting on behalf of the family may request a copy or copies.

What is a lawful right or claim?

If the applicant is not the spouse, parent or child of the decedent, a lawful right or claim must be documented. An example of a lawful right or claim would be a death record needed by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim the applicant is required to provide a copy of the requested death record.

There is a fee of $10.00 per certified copy of a death certificate. Fees are payable by cash, check or money order

Parking for People with Disabilities

If you are a Town resident and in need of a permanent or temporary parking permit for people with disabilities, you may obtain such from our office. The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles application must be completed and returned to us. Part I is completed by the applicant and Part II is completed by the appropriate health care provider. A permanent permit which is valid for a five-year period and renewable in additional five-year increments may be certified by a

Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner or a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine.

A temporary permit, which may be issued for up to six months and renewed once for up to an additional six months, may be certified only by a Medical Doctor or a Doctor of Osteopathy.

A photocopy of your driver’s license must be submitted with each application. If you are applying in person for a permit, we will happily make the photocopy for you. If you are unable to apply in person, you may apply via the mail, or you may have someone bring your completed application and driver’s license to the Town Hall for you.

If a permit is lost or stolen, you may come to our office for a replacement. The replacement permit will be issued after the original permit number is reported to the Police Department making it immediately non-valid. The replacement permit will retain the original permit’s expiration date. You will complete Part I of the DMV application at the time of issuance. A damaged permit which needs to be replaced must be returned to our office.

We will ask you to complete Part I of the DMV application, nullify the original permit and immediately issue you a replacement which will retain the original permit’s expiration date

Application for a Disability Permit

View Ridgeway Dog Law

Dog Licenses

All dogs six months of age or older residing within the Town of Ridgeway must be licensed as a matter of public safety.

At the time of the original license application, a certificate of altering must be presented if the dog has been spayed or neutered. Such one-time proof will be sufficient for the life of the dog. Proof of current rabies vaccination is also required. Such proof will need to be supplied at each expiration date. The license application contains the owner’s name and address as well as the name, breed and age, color and other markings of the dog. A license is valid for one year. A renewal notice will be sent to the owner one month prior to the expiration date.

The fee for an altered dog is $7 per year; an unaltered dog is $15 per year. Fees are payable by cash, check or money order.

Purebred Licenses

A purebred license may be issued to owners of multiple dogs of the same breed at the same address. Each dog must have an AKC Registration Certificate and proof of a current rabies vaccination.

If a dog has been altered, proof of such is also required. The costs are $30.00 for up to 10 dogs, plus $3.00 per unaltered dog and $55.00 for 11-24 dogs, plus $3.00 per unaltered dog: $1.00 for altered dogs.


Working dogs such as police dogs, service dogs, therapy dogs and war dogs must be registered but are exempt from license fees. Official certification must be supplied at the time of registration

Bingo, Games of Chance, Raffle Tickets

The New York State Racing and Wagering Board determine the rules for the issuance of Bingoand Games of Chance, which include Raffle, Bell Jar and Casino Night Licenses. Charitable organizations, which intend to raise money by holding Bingo Games, Games of Chance and in some cases, Raffles, must apply for an identification number issued through the Board. If the organization does not have an identification number or if an assigned identification number has not been used for a one-year period, the organization must contact the NYS Racing and Wagering Board.

Genealogy Searches

What types of records are available for genealogy research?

The Town of Ridgeway can provide uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes if the event occurred within the Town:

Birth certificates-if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
Death certificates-if on file for at least 50 years.
Marriage certificates-if on file for at least 50 years and both spouses are known to be deceased.

Are the time periods ever waived?
The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct-line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e. the child, grandchild, great-grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:
Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
Proof of the death of both spouses whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
For more information on genealogy research, see

Hunting Licenses

Hunting Licenses run from October 1st through September 30th of each calendar year. Hunting License applications must be accompanied by proof of required training classes as required by New York State. No one under the age of 12 may possess a hunting license

Fishing Licenses

Fishing Licenses can purchased for the entire year and are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Fishing Licenses can also be purchased for a designated seven-day period or for one particular day. Everyone over the age of 16 who plans to fish is required to have a license.

Senior discounts for applicants 70 years of age and older apply for both Hunting and Fishing Licenses.

For more information about Hunting and Fishing Licenses, please visit the website for the
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.

Getting Married

Documents required to obtain a Marriage License include:

  • Birth certificate
  • Photo ID (driver’s license or passport),
  • If there were previous marriages, how they ended (an original divorce decree with raised seal or death certificate with raised seal).
  • $40.00 license fee

View a Sample Marriage License

Information on Getting Married in New York State

For questions regarding marriage licensing, you may contact the Town Clerk’s office at 798-0730.

How Do I Get A Copy of My Marriage License?

The copy of your marriage license is on file in the municipal clerk’s office from which it was purchased. This may not be the municipality in which you were married, living or working at the time. A marriage license purchased in New York State may be used anywhere in New York State. If you know or are fairly certain that you purchased your marriage license in the Town of Ridgeway, we will be happy to search for and prepare a certified copy for you. Please send us the date of the wedding, the full names of both partners using maiden names where appropriate. If you are local and wish to pick up the certified copy at our office in Town Hall, you may do so Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Please be sure to bring your driver’s license as proof of identity.

There is a fee of $10.00 per copy payable by cash, check or money order.

If you are not local and wish for us to mail a certified copy of the license to you, you will need to put your request in writing with a photocopy of your driver’s license and a check payable to Ridgeway Town Clerk and mail it to us at Ridgeway Town Hall, 410 West Ave, Medina, New York 14103. If you wish the certified copy mailed to the address shown on your driver’s license, you will need to do nothing further. If you wish the certified copy sent to a different address, you will also need to have your written request notarized.

Both the New York State Voter Registration Form and the Absentee Ballot Application are available through the Town of Ridgeway’s Clerk’s Office as well as at the Orleans County Board of Elections.

Voter Registration

The Voter Registration Form is used to: register to vote, change a name or address if different than the last time one voted or to enroll or change their enrollment in a particular political party.

This form can be completed and forwarded to the Clerk’s Office or the Orleans County Board of Elections located at The Villages of Orleans, 14016 West Route 31, Albion, New York 14411.

Voter Registration Form

Absentee Ballot

If you are registered to vote, but will be unable to go to your polling place on Primary Day and/or Election Day due to either physical illness or absence from Town, you may vote by Absentee Ballot.

Once the absentee ballot application is completed and returned to the Orleans County Board of Elections, you will be mailed a paper ballot on which you may cast your vote and return to the Board of Elections. Absentee ballots can be obtained at the Ridgeway Town Hall, 410 West Avenue, Medina, New York 14103, or through the link below.

Absentee Ballot

Board of Elections